In the past, dentists filled cavities with dark, mercury (silver) amalgams. Over time, large amalgam fillings can break down allowing new decay to leak underneath. Furthermore, teeth filled with amalgam are at a higher risk for fracture due to expansion and contraction of the metal. Consequently, Dr. Neelam only places only composite fillings, because they provide a strong, safe, and more natural-looking repair.
Tooth-colored fillings are bonded to the teeth and shaded to match your natural tooth color. After treatment, no one will even notice that you’ve had teeth filled. You will even have trouble finding the fillings! If you need a cavity fixed or have old mercury fillings to replace, let Dr. Neelam show you what tooth-colored fillings can do for your smile.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF FILLING
• Oldest filing used in dentistry
• Bonds mechanically with the tooth
• Chances of fracture of filling
• Amalgam filling is not tooth coloured
• Bonds chemically with the tooth so better retention
• Anti – cariogenic
• Tooth coloured
NANO GIC FILLING
• Same as GIC but Excellent esthetics.
• Suitable for small cavities
• Tooth coloured filling. It is cured by a light which is specific for this purpose.
• Drawbacks – It shows shrinkage after some time leading to seepage of bacteria from between the margins of the filling and the tooth