POST AND CORE
• Post and Core is given when tooth structure is minimal but the roots are intact.
• It is not possible to give cap without any tooth structure.
• So a post and core is given where post is inserted in the root which has already been treated by RCT and the core remains outside and behaves like the tooth structure.
• Now we can give cap over the post and core
TYPES OF POST AND CORE:
CAST POST AND CORE
• Very good strehgth
• Reduce possibility of Root Fracture
• Absorbs excessive loads applied to tooth
• Image 1 showing cast post and core
• Image 2 shows a badly broken tooth`and then tooth with a cast post and core
• Image 3 shows the tooth with post and core
• Image 4 shows tooth with final cap over it
• Image 5 showing an X-Ray with Post and Core
GLASS FIBER POST AND CORE
• Excellent for front teeth. Because of its Translucency it gives very good esthetics alongwith strength.
• Distribute stresses applied to the tooth by their flexibility
• Corrosion resistant
• Able to bond to tooth structure
• IMAGE 1 – Shows photo of a glass fibre post and core
• IMAGE 2 – Patient has got a badly broken tooth
• IMAGE 3 – Glass Fiber Post and core placed
• IMAGE 4 – Composite Build-up done over the tooth
• IMAGE 5 – Porcelain crown given over the tooth
• Much cheaper option as compared to the other two